City approves tentative special events calendar for 2016
The Safety Harbor City Commission approved the tentative schedule of 2016 special events during its meeting two weeks ago, and there are a few changes of note in addition to a number of the city’s annual standards.
While the Wine Festival (Nov.5), Bloom n Art Chalk Festival (Mar. 19) and the monthly Third Friday Music Series all occupy their familiar places on the calendar next year, a glance at the lineup reveals a new entry to the crowded special events field.
On Sunday, October 16, a Shabby Chic Vintage Market will take over the John Wilson Park Gazebo and surrounding area. The event, which will run from 10 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., will feature antique and vintage vendors, live entertainment as well as live demonstrations.
Other popular returnees include the Nolan’s Pub 5K Fun Run, which this year coincides with the last day of the Chalk Festival on Sunday, March 20; the Safety Harbor Songfest (Apr. 2&3); the Blake Real Estate Paddle for Kids (May 21); and the city’s annual holiday festivities such as the Fourth of July Parade, Main Street Trick or Treat (Oct. 31), the Tree Lighting ceremony (Dec. 2) and the Holiday parade (Dec. 17).
Notably absent from this years slate are a couple of popular events, the Safety Harbor Seafood Festival and the LIADO’s San Gennaro Italian Festa. Both events became casualties of work on Phase 1 at the Marina’s Waterfront Park.
“We had to cancel the Seafood Festival and the San Gennaro festival due to the work being done at the Waterfront Park,” Safety Harbor Leisure Services Director Andrea Norwood told Safety Harbor Connect.
“Unfortunately when this type of work happens, there are sometimes consequences that come with it, and this is the case here,” she added. “We hope the events will be able to return in 2017.”
Officials with the San Gennaro festival announced on Facebook that they plan to return to Safety Harbor in 2017.
Other events that could be affected by the Waterfront Park work include the ever- expanding 4th annual Best Damn Race Ever, which kicks off with a runner and fitness expo on Friday, Feb. 5, with the actual races taking place the next day.
Norwood said that the race founders have come up with a plan that will not interfere with the work at the park.
“They plan to move the staging area and starting line up towards the Spa to accommodate the work being done at the park,” Norwood said.
While the Songfest is scheduled for early April this year, work on the first phase of the park is expected to be finished sometime in March, making the festival the first official event to be held in the newly configured park.
Here’s a look at the 2016 Safety Harbor Special Events Calendar:
- Fri, 15 – Third Friday
- Fri, 5 & Sat., 6 – Best Dam Race Ever
- Fri, 19 – Third Friday
- Sat. 5 – Junk in the Trunk
- Sun, 13 – Shabby Chic Vintage Market
- Fri, 18 – Third Friday
- Sat, 19 & Sun, 20 – Bloom n Art Chalk Festival
- Sun, 20 – Nolan’s Pub 5K Fun Run
- Sat, 2 & Sun, 3 – Safety Harbor Songfest
- Fri, 8 – Sun, 10 – Safety Harbor Boat Show
- Fri, 15 – Third Friday Music Series
- Sat., 16 – Beer and Burger Throwdown
- Sat., 30 – March for Babies
- Fri, 20 – Third Friday Music Series
- Sat., 21 – Blake Real Estate Paddle for Kids
- Fri, 17 – Third Friday Music Series
- Mon, 4 – Fourth of July Parade and Festivities
- Fri, 15 – Third Friday Music Series
- Fri, 19 – Third Friday Music Series
- Sun, 11 – 9/11 ceremony
- Fri, 16 – Third Friday Music Series
- Sat, 17 – Truck n Play Day
- Sat., 24 – Thin Mint Sprint
- Sat., 1 – Oktoberfest
- Sat., 8 – Junk in the Trunk
- Sun., 16 – Shabby Chic Vintage Market
- Fri., 21 – Third Friday Music Series
- Sat., 22 – British Car Show
- Mon., 31 – Main Street Trick or Treat
- Sat., 5 – Safety Harbor Wine Festival
- Fri., 11 – Veterans Day ceremony
- Fri., 18 – Third Friday Music Series
- Fri., 2 – Tree Lighting ceremony
- Sun., 11 – Kiwanis Arts and Crafts show
- Fri., 16 – Third Friday Music Series
- Sat., 17 – Holiday Parade
*Note: The Safety Harbor Snowfest is said to be returning to the schedule this year on Saturday, Dec. 3. Safety Harbor Connect will have more information on that event in the near future.